St. Camillus Academy, a private elementary school, was established by the Sisters of Divine Providence of Kentucky in 1913. The academy designed by David Davis, is strikingly beautiful in structure and setting. The building of French chateau style, is situated on a commanding elevation overlooking the city of Corbin.
In 1908, Rev. Ambrose Reger, O.S.B., pastor of Sacred Heart Parish, Corbin, who had established a parish school and placed it under the direction of a lay teacher, requested the services of the Sisters of Divine Providence. On September 3, 1908, Sacred Heart School opened under the direction of the Sisters of Divine Providence with an enrollment of twenty-three pupils, most of whom were non-Catholics. The number of students at Sacred Heart School increased steadily. By 1910 there were forty-seven regular pupils and nineteen music pupils, and at that time an art needlework class was begun. By 1913, Father Ambrose Reger was unable to support the growing school. The school under the direction of the sisters, had gained the highest esteem, and there were requests for a high school. Father Ambrose requested Mother Mary Lucy, Provincial of the Sisters of Divine Providence, to take over the school. Accordingly, on September 8, 1913, the Sisters of Divine Providence began an academy in Corbin, known as St. Camillus Academy. The academy was opened to elementary and high school students in a residence on Laurel St., rented by the sisters from Dr. Parker. Five high school students and the first boarders were at that time admitted to the school.
The increasing number of students made it necessary to build. Early in 1914, with the authorization of Bishop Maes, who selected the sight, a tract of thirty-five acres was purchased and the attractive new building begun. The new academy was completed by 1915, and Bishop Maes was scheduled to dedicate it on May 19, 1915, but his death occurred on May 11. The academy was privately blessed by Father Ambrose Reger, O.S.B., on May 19, 1915. The first graduation occurred on June 7, 1917. In 1921, the academy was enlarged with an annex which included a beautiful Chapel and two classrooms and a library. As the number of students continued to increase, it became evident that a second building was necessary. The construction of a one floor open area school was begun in 1972 to accommodate an enrollment of 300 in grades 1-12. In September, 1973, classes for grades 1-12 began in the new St. Camillus Academy building. Students continued to use the old building for cafeteria and music classes. The boarding students and the sisters also continued to use it as a residence. In September, 1985, the first Kindergarten Class was opened with fourteen pupils. That same year a new computer lab for high school students was opened. In 1986, six seniors were named National Merit Scholarship Semi-finalists from a graduating class of nineteen. In 1992, a computer lab for elementary students was opened and in 1995, the 1973 building was wired for computers, making it possible for the classrooms to have computers connected to the file server. In 1995, the library had one computer connected to the Internet. In September, 1992, a Montessori Class of twenty-six 3,4, and 5 year olds became part of St. Camillus Academy. Because of a long waiting list, a second Montessori class was begun in 1996, bringing the total of Montessori pupils to forty-nine. A decrease in enrollment and an increase in expenses caused the closing of the high school in 1996.